Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mezcal

If you have a craving for authentic Mexican food, you must head to Mezcal, a gem of a hole-in-the-wall restaurant off State St. in New Haven. The flavors are pure and fresh, and even a vegan can navigate a decent meal off their extensive menu.

Yes, there are a lot of meat dishes. And I witnessed plenty of the meals arriving at tables swimming in cheese. But eliminating these two ingredients did not make the end result any less spectacular.

Because I can't eat gluten, I have to avoid the complimentary bowl of crispy wheat tortillas served with a delicious avocado, cilantro and jalepeno dip (although I do generously spoon out some of that dip onto my plate). I also must forgo the burritos, which look hefty and satisfying.

My standby meal is the Vegetarian Fajitas, served with beans and rice, soft corn tortillas and I always get a side of guacamole and pico de gallo. Normally I'm not a huge fan of onions and peppers, but fortunately, their sizzling platter of veggies also includes thick slices of zucchini and yellow squash as well as fresh avocado, and everything is caremelized to perfection. Their mole sauce is also outstanding, with a depth of flavor and richness that feels like a Mexican sunset.

I also must highly recommend enjoying a Pina Colada with your meal. While I'm not much of a drinker, I decided to give theirs a try because it's made with real coconut milk and fresh pineapple juice, rather than those syrupy sweet artifically flavored mixes. The difference is immediately apparent, and oh so satisfying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to find a great pina colada like that. I'll have to go there and try one!