Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Woodbridge Public Library

This week I did my third cooking demonstration at the Woodbridge Public Library. The theme: Vegan Apps. Dips and Hors D'ouvres for the Holidays. This is probably my favorite thing to make, since each little appetizer is like a work of art. The key is always remembering to balance color, taste, and texture.

For appetizers, the flavors are always bold.... salty, sweet, spicy, sour, savory, and bitter. For these recipes I used olives and capers for the saltiness, red peppers for the sweetness, plus various herbs and spices for the remaining flavors.

In one hour we made three recipes: Vegan Caviar (Olive Tapenade), Red Pepper and Sundried Tomato Compote, and Artichoke Cream Cheese. Then, they were combined in different ways to make four distinct appetizers. They're so quick, easy, and versatile that you can easily throw together a party spread in less than an hour if you needed. And these look absolutely lovely for the holidays. Below are Endive Boats with Artichoke Cream Cheese and Red Pepper Compote.

They work great for a first course, or could even stand alone for light finger food at an "eat and mingle" party. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Linda/CT said...

Hi Mary...always enjoy your presentations AND recipes. I am definitely going to make the olive tapenaude for Christmas. Lovely pictures of the wedding too. Merry Christmas and see you at Georgie's! Linda

Anonymous said...

All of the appetizers look so delicious. I wish I were there to try them. The olive tapenaude and endive appetizers look so enticing. I'll have to try those recipes. A friend gave me the recipes from your presentation. They will be great for the holidays.