Tuesday, November 26, 2013

TV Appearance - "Healing Outside the Box"


I was recently invited to be a guest on North Haven public access TV's program, "Healing Outside the Box" hosted by Rosemary Lachance and Lisa Burton.  The show focuses on spiritual energy healing and alternative therapies, and I was happy to discuss my work as a vegan chef from an ethical perspective.

Often when I'm asked to appear on a cooking segment, the show producers gently nudge me away from the animal issues and focus instead on the health aspects of eating vegan.  This makes logical sense since I'm always focusing on the food and cooking techniques, and yet I always feel as if I'm not being entirely true to myself since animals are the main reason why I'm vegan.  Therefore, it was pleasantly refreshing and fulfilling to be able to speak from the heart during this candid one-hour interview.  Despite the daunting prospect of filling a straight hour with only talk, surprisingly the time flew by.  I suppose it's easy when discussing something I'm so passionate about!

We also talked about food substitutions for dairy and eggs, how to get protein, iron and calcium, and some tips for people transitioning to a vegan diet (hint:  make friends with other vegans!).  I also gave my recommendation for a fool-proof recipe when entertaining vegan style or when attending a get together with non-vegans:  Chocolate Chip Brownies with Maple Pumpkin Butter, Chocolate Drizzle and Toasted Coconut. The recipe also happens to be gluten-free, as well.


Be sure to check your local listings for when this program will air in the southern Connecticut region.  

No comments: