Sunday, October 8, 2017

Soup Making 101


I had a great time making a variety of vegan soups this afternoon for my "Soup Making 101" class. Thank you to all who attended and to Kat Dargan for assisting! We enjoyed lots of warm and yummy comfort food.

Menu:
- Japanese Miso Soup with Immune Boosting Aromatic Herb Broth
- Rootsy Chowder with Toasted Spiced Pepitas
- Lemony Lentils with Collard Greens and Horseradish Dijon Crema


We started with some hands-on miso mixing which one of the attendees described as "meditative." Indeed. It's a nice way to relax before eating a meal.  I steeped some lemon balm, oregano, and thyme in the broth during the last minute to infuse essential oils that help boost the immune system.  


We also enjoyed layers of flavor from the lemony lentil soup that was topped with a horseradish Dijon crema. This added a creaminess when stirred into the soup. Everyone really enjoyed this combination.


Finally, we closed our meal with a root vegetable chowder made with carrot, parsnip, turnip, yam, potato, and onion. Root vegetables help "root" us and provide strength for the cold season ahead.  This delicious soup was topped with toasted spiced pipits for an added layer of taste and texture.


Everyone had a great time tasting delicious and healthy vegan food, observing the process, and enjoying the company of new friends.  I love getting feedback like this! 

"What amazing food... everything was perfect. My only comment is Bravo!"
"The education along with the prep tips make me think I can do this healthfully."
"The miso soup warmed my chest. Excellent presentation!"
"Lots of chopping to do, but I liked your easier methods."
"I loved the food!!! And seeing it prepared from start to finish." 
"I loved the hands-on experience and seeing different ways of preparing everyday foods." 
"It was delicious. Please do more!"

1 comment:

Buy Contact Lenses said...

Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.