Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksliving

It's 10:00. Do you know where your turkeys are? Hopefully, they're all gobbling away at Farm Sanctuary in bucolic Watkins Glen, NY.

As I write, there is a pot of Gingered Winter Vegetable Bisque simmering away on the stove. This will be the first course of my mini-epic Thanksgiving Feast which I will be hosting at my home tomorrow afternoon. I hope it sets the perfect mood... No politics. No religion. No talk about the weather. Nothing but mmmm...

[ed. note: I needed to take a break because that buttercup squash just smelled too good to resist.]

I am now sitting happily, a warm bowl of soup in my tummy. This is the perfect way to take the edge off a cold autumn day. For an added kick and contrast to the creamy sweetness of the squash, I decided to top the soup with green onion and toasted spiced sunflower seeds. Chili powder, cinnamon, sea salt and a tiny pinch of cayenne sauteed in about 1 Tbl of Earth Balance, then tossed with the sunflower seeds until they sizzle and pop. Ooo, it smells heavenly.

I limited myself to an itty bitty serving so as not to skimp on my Thanksgiving guests. Quite a challenge, but it will give me something to look forward to tomorrow.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: