Thursday, March 12, 2009

March Menu

It's been cold and winterlike again (I suppose that's normal for March), so I've been cooking comfort food for my clients this week. On Monday I made a creamy root vegetable au gratin with potatoes, turnips and sweet potatoes that I needed to reprise at home for myself it was so good (though not terribly photogenic). I ate it alongside some leftover ratatouille which, though not necessarily a recommended accompaniment, the two were a perfect pair of mushy goodness.

Yesterday I made Lentils with Oven Baked Butternut Squash (I'm glad there's still some around) and String Beans Amandine. The color contrasts, flavors and textures worked nicely together. A little bit savory, a little bit sweet. Lentils are very filling.

To continue with the legume theme, I made an Italian Style White Beans and Tomatoes with Fresh Basil, Escarole with Garlic and Pine Nuts and Quinoa. I've made this before with creamy polenta and am thinking that would've been a better combination, though it still looked pretty.

My favorite meal was the Garbanzo Puree and Quinoa Pesto Stuffed Portobello Steak with Wilted Baby Spinach and Red Pepper Dice. The flavor combination was incredible, especially if you love being infused with garlic. I do.

No comments: