Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Quick One

I had about 15 minutes to throw together lunch yesterday and after my initial scan of the fridge, I was left feeling uninspired. The only item that drew my attention was a lonely little potato in the vegetable bin. It was too small to bake and not big enough to stretch into mashed potatoes, and I didn't have any tofu to toss into a scramble. What I came up with was a modified potato hash.

I diced the potato small and tossed it into a pot of boiling water so it would cook quickly. Meanwhile, I sauteed a diced onion and garlic in Earth Balance, then seasoned with chili powder when they were transluscent. For a little color, I added a carrot cut in quarter moons, then stirred in some chopped kale until it wilted. Since I knew this alone would not sustain me, I opened up a can of pinto beans, which turned out to be the perfect color and texture to complement the other ingredients. The boiled potato went in last, along with some sea salt and pepper and another teaspoon of Earth Balance. The end result was smashing!

No comments: