Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quick and Easy Vegan Dinner

When I prepared the Menu for last night's "Healthy Cooking in a Hurry" cooking class many weeks ago, we were in the midst of a warm spell.  And I had thought by the middle of May things would be warmed up for the remainder of the season.  Alas, the fickle New England weather foiled my plans for warm weather picnic food this evening.  Despite the rain and chill in the air, everyone agreed this was their favorite meal nonetheless. 


We started with a French Lentil and Brown Basmati Rice Pilaf seasoned with fresh oregano, thyme and parsley.  To add a little contrast to the savory flavor, I added chopped kalamata olives, lemon zest and fresh squeezed lemon juice.  This brought all of the flavors together.  On the side was a sautee of Snap Peas with Pistachios and Mint tossed with a simple dressing of Dijon mustard, lemon juice and agave syrup. 

For dessert I did a gluten-free twist on traditional Strawberry Shortcake, and also added some tangy Rhubarb in the mix.  I think I got the last stalk of the season!  This was topped with non-dairy  Soyaytoo Soy Whip and some powdered sugar.  Ahhh... I'm ready for June. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would you share your recipe for gluten-free shortcake biscuits? I've never been able to find a recipe that I like.