Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kids in the Kitchen


I have a hard time turning down offers to cook with kids since they always know how to have fun. And they look so cute I want to squish them!  So when I was asked to participate in the Junior League of Greater New Haven's "Kids in the Kitchen" Health Fair, of course I said yes.


These are kids who participate in the city's YMCA programs, many of whom come from families that don't have access to or can't afford to eat fresh organic produce on a regular basis.  It seemed like the perfect opportunity to introduce them to the concept of SMOOOOOOOOTHIES!


There was a little hesitancy at first when the crowd of kids first rushed through the doors and saw a table with Dixie cups filled with a mysterious green liquid.  But it didn't take much encouragement to get them to take a sip.


And once they did, they held out their soggy cups for refill after refill.  I made mixes of Banana, Pear, Melon, Pineapple, Mango, and Kale.  When they asked what "that green stuff" was, I said it's kale, which is even better than spinach, and will make you even stronger than Popeye.  "More, Please!!"  Keep eating those fruits and veggies!!


Special thanks to Stephanie Evans and everyone from the Junior League who worked hard to make this a successful event.  Also, special thank you to VegFund for providing a stipend for the fresh organic produce and Vegan Outreach for their compelling literature.  Many, many parents were curious and picked up a brochure on their way through.  Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried your smoothie recipe-was a bit skeptical about putting in the kale-how surprised I was that this drink was so refreshing and healthy too. I will be making it very often during the hot summer days.
Thank you so much.

Unknown said...

Great! I'm glad you enjoyed the green smoothie. And it's "kid approved" too!