Sunday, August 8, 2010

Teeny Tiny Potatoes

There are many things I love about summer:  the warm sun, cicadas making their unmistakable call, birds singing their summer songs, butterflies, fresh veggies from the garden... ahh, the list is as endless as the day.  Another thing is finding specialty seasonal produce at the grocery store or famers market, like this bag of Teeny Tiny Potatoes I picked up from Trader Joe's.  They're about the size of a plump quarter.  I wasn't sure what I'd do with them, but they were so cute I couldn't resist scooping them up and taking them home with me.  


Earlier in the day I had picked a handful of stringbeans and a zucchini from my garden, and I had a ripe tomato and half an avocado in my fridge.  I envisioned it all coming together for dinner, kinda like this:


First I sauteed the stringbeans and squash in a skillet, then crumbled some extra firm tofu from The Bridge on top and seasoned it with nutritional yeast and chili powder.  Meanwhile, I boiled the itty bitty potatoes until tender and then sauteed them with onion in Earth Balance margarine, and I threw in some chopped up kale at the end.  The tomato wedges and sliced avocado made a lovely garnish and really brought all the flavors together as if I had planned it that way.  Nice.

No comments: