Tuesday, October 12, 2010

This Week's Menu


I've been researching pumpkin recipes lately to get in the spirit of fall and found a recipe in which the chef stacked layers of pumpkin with rice and other ingredients.  The presentation was lovely, but since all of my meals get packaged for clients in containers, I needed something more vertical.  But mostly I liked the hearty flavor combination of pumpkin with walnuts and mushrooms, which I decided to recreate in a different way.


My version uses butternut squash sliced into rounds (or "steaks" if you'd like) which get baked in the oven on an oiled baking sheet until lightly browned on the outside and tender on the inside.  I served them with a side of steamed kale and brown basmati rice.  Then I made my vegan version of the mushroom walnut sauce using dairy-free equivalents:  Tofutti cream cheese, nutritional yeast and rice milk.  This was decadent enough - I can't imagine anything richer.


The other entrees this week had a little spicy kick.  A favorite cold weather standby of mine is anything curried, so I decided to go with Chana Masala (chickpea curry) with Stringbeans and Basmati Rice.  A dash of cayenne and squeeze of lemon always perk of the flavors and the heat.


Then I made an Indonesian Gado-Gado.  I don't really have a recipe for this, but the key ingredients are peanut butter, chili powder, and cauliflower.  I could probably have augmented it with some coconut milk for added richness, but the peanut butter did just fine.  Some baked tofu rounded out the meal.

No comments: