Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dessert time

I was asked to make a few vegan desserts for a non-vegan Thanksgiving party this year, a challenge I'm always up for.  One was a creation of mine I haven't made in years, and the other two I've never made before, but I trusted that they'd all be hits since they came from Priscilla Feral's Friends of Animals cookbooks. 


The first was a tangy Mango Tango Flan which is sweetened with maple syrup and pineapple juice and topped with a lovely apricot glaze.  It evokes summer, yet it also looked bright and cheery on a chilly autumn afternoon.  This recipe can be found in FOA's cookbook, The Best of Vegan Cooking.


Next up was the Coconut Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese frosting.  If you're a fan of coconut, this cake will not disappoint.  The light and spongey cake was topped with a rich and decadent frosting so loaded with coconut that, following the mango pineapple flan, you'd think you woke up in a tropical paradise. (Note to self:  must come up with a gluten-free version!) 


Finally, there was the chocolate bomshell.  This Chocolate Decadence Cake was literally enrobed in an even more decadent frosting made from melted baker's chocolate and Earth Balance margarine whisked together with a pound of confectioner's sugar.  I'd highly recommend this recipe, though I think I'd do a double layer next time since there was sooo much frosting.  Both of these recipes can be found in FOA's cookbook, Dining with Friends: The Art of North American Vegan Cuisine.

The result?  Word from my client:

"The Mango Tango Flan and the cakes were a great success and everyone sends their best to you!!! Mom loved the coconut cake!" 

No comments: