Tuesday, January 18, 2011

This Week's Menu


I went back to basics for a couple of the entrees on this week's menu.  It always helps my planning when clients have a craving and can let me know what they want.  In this case, it was stir-fry. Something so simple that I rarely ever make it, and yet, once I do, I always say to myself, "this is so good.  I should make it more often."


So the stir-fry included baked tofu triangles, broccoli, carrots, and snow peas. I served it with short-grain brown rice, again, something that tastes so sweet and delicious on its own that I could eat it all the time, and yet I rarely do.


Another basic was Mediterranean Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, Artichoke Hearts, Baby Spinach, Cannelini Beans and Fresh Basil.  I love these flavors in the summer, which is where my thoughts are as we experience yet another snow storm and prepare for frigid temperatures over the weekend.  I should rename this pasta "California Dreamin'."


The final item on this week's menu was inspired by a recent cooking lesson where my student and I experimented with Oven-roasted Brussels Sprouts.  They're so delicious tossed in balsamic vinaigrette and caramelized under high heat of the oven.  The little errant leaves that separate from the heads get extra crispy and flavorful, which is my favorite treat.  I served them with Pan-fried Tempeh and Perfectly Mashed Potatoes.  Yum!

No comments: