Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baked Polenta with Mushroom Gravy, Quinoa and Green Beans


I had a craving tonight for biscuits and gravy.  This posed a problem for two reasons:  1) biscuits usually aren't gluten-free which means I can't (or shouldn't) eat them, and 2) it would take some time to research and test a gluten-free alternative recipe, and I was just too hungry for that.  Instead, I went for a simple shortcut and had dinner on the table in 15 minutes.

The solution?  Polenta.  You know those tubes of pre-made polenta that you can cut up and pop into a hot oven then bake until crispy (or simply microwave if you're in that much of a hurry)?  That's what I used in place of the biscuits, and they made for a pretty decent stand-in. Then I simply sauteed some chopped shallots and sliced mushrooms until lightly browned, stirred in a tamari and water broth thickened with corn starch, and added a tablespoon of tahini at the end for that gravy-like consistency.  I combined this with some leftover quinoa and blanched green beans for my quick and easy dinner - yum!


No comments: