Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day Menu

I treated my mom to a home cooked dinner for Mother's Day this weekend, and I think she was happy to not have to lift a finger for a change.  For all that she has done for me over the years, for her love and support, this was just a small token of appreciation.  Thank you, mom, for everything you do!


It was a lovely spring afternoon, the garden was blooming with flowers, and the kitchen was bubbling with delicious flavors.  The plan was for Pasta Primavera as the main course, and when I found a basket of fiddleheads at my local market, I excitedly grabbed a bunch to go into the mix along with asparagus, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and snap peas.  What a perfect combination!


The colors, tastes, and textures contrasted nicely on the plate.  The pasta was tossed with a creamy basil and arugula pesto, then topped with arugula blossoms.


Dessert featured another seasonal favorite:  rhubarb.  I decided to make a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp topped with So Delicious Turtle Trails coconut milk ice cream.  Talk about decadent!


As if this wasn't the best part, the highlight came later when we went to see The Beach Boys' 50th reunion concert at the Mohegan Sun Arena.  That was a once in a lifetime experience, and the perfect ending to a fabulous day.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great Mother's Day dinner and treat to see the Beach Boys! Your mother must have been thrilled to be "Queen for the Day". I'm sure she was very grateful.

Unknown said...

Yes - my mom is awesome! She deserves to be treated like a Queen every day. :)