Saturday, April 20, 2013

Lunch at Passiflora


It's nothing short of awesome when you come across a cute little cafe in the middle of nowhere that serves up some pretty tasty vegan goodies.  That was the case on my drive to the northwest hills of Connecticut to meet some friends for lunch on this sunny spring afternoon.


I had heard good things about Passiflora, a tea room and cafe tucked in a little store front on Main Street in New Hartford.  It's easy to miss if you're zooming along on Rt. 44, but do take the time to slow down, stop in, and enjoy some slow food.  Everything here is made fresh with local and organic ingredients, and the quality comes through with every bite and sip.


I started with a Chocolate Maca Chai Tea with almond milk that promised to reduce stress and boost the immune system.  I needed both after a long week that tested my patience.  Plus, it tasted pretty rich and soothing with a peppery hint that was also energizing.


I ignored my gluten-free health needs for the main entree, a Tempeh Reuben on Bantam Bread sourdough rye with a side of Cream of Asparagus soup.  It's been over a decade since I've splurged on this bread, but I remember it well:  that yeasty aroma, a crisp crunch of crust, and hearty weave of gluten strands that hold it all together and make it heavenly chewy.  It was the perfect framework for the nicely grilled tempeh and heap of sauerkraut that were tucked inside.  My only qualm was the cafe's lack of hot sauce or spicy brown mustard, but I settled for some Dijon.  The soup was a pureed mix of asparagus, onion, carrot, celery and a pleasing mix of herbs.  The color wasn't terribly appetizing, but the taste more than made up for it.


It was difficult to decide on a dessert since there was an array of vegan treats to choose from, even a raw cookie.  At the recommendation of my dining companions, I chose one of the last two Gluten-free Black Bean Brownies, mostly because I couldn't imagine such a thing being tasty, much less edible.


I was surprised to discover that it was much much more than that. The crumb was moist and dense, almost fudgey in spots, and the flavor was that of a rich, dark chocolate.  I think there was probably some coffee mixed in there because I left with quite a buzz after this meal.


I would highly recommend a drive out to this little gem of a restaurant after a hike in nearby People's State Forest, or in the fall for a break from leaf peeping.  I will dream about those brownies and look forward to attempting to recreate them on my next baking expedition.

1 comment:

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh that brownie looks so delicious. It is hard to believe that it is made with black beans!!