Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cake

Yesterday my mom surprised me with an incredible gluten-free vegan lemon coconut cake. She's always experimenting, and this time it resulted in 100% success.

She started with a Glutino Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix which made a single layer vanilla cake which she augmented with lemon zest. After it baked, she split it in half and added a thin layer of lemon pudding she had whisked from corn starch, soy milk, Florida Crystals and lemon juice. She topped it with a vanilla cream cheese frosting and generous sprinkle of shredded coconut. Then she fashioned a pretty rose garnish from dried apricots and basil leaves. Beautiful! Delicious!

Earlier in the afternoon I had cooked Triple Green Tempeh with Brown Rice for a client. It's not as heavy and greasey as the kind you might get at a Chinese restaurant. The tempeh is nice and crisp and savory when baked in the oven rather than fried. I like it.

2 comments:

iRaw said...

Wow, the cake is beautiful! I never thought of baking tempeh - good idea! As always I enjoy reading here.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comment, iRaw. My mom is getting to be a real pro vegan baker!