Thursday, June 18, 2009

More Cake

My mom has outdone herself! Two fabulous gluten-free vegan cakes in one week! The latest was a modification of a recipe I had given her many, many years ago which called for raspberry preserves in place of some of the oil. It's a moist, dense, and super chocolately cake.

She added a little almond extract to the batter which worked well with the cinnamon, and she replaced even more of the oil with apple sauce. Another success!

The frosting is made from melted vegan chocolate chips, Mori Nu tofu and maple syrup. The last few times I've made this frosting it's been more puddinglike, which has frustrated me. My mom's tip was to melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, then let them cool a little before blending them with the tofu & maple syrup. She also added a little cocoa powder just to be safe. The end result was smooth, rich and creamy, and regular people would never know there's tofu in there. Thanks, mom!!

2 comments:

iRaw said...

Oh my, I'm going to crave this chocolaty goodness all day - your mom's cake looks awesome!

John said...

The cake is really looking nice and delicious. And its looking healthy too.