Tuesday, September 15, 2009

This week's menu

Why do I keep craving creamy things? Cheesey white sauce... mashed potatoes... gravy... pudding... I decided to combine all these into my menu this week and I think the results were pretty delicious.

Since the fall weather, fall colors and fall veggies are starting to make their appearance, it seemed the perfect occasion to do a twist on traditional mashed potatoes by using sweet potatoes instead. Then I added carrots and parsnips, too, officially making a "mashed root vegetable" side dish with a little Earth Balance margarine and maple syrup. And if that wasn't sweet enough, I made a savory sweet balsamic reduction with caramelized onions and figs to top the baked tofu. Some broccoli florets balanced out the color and flavor.

Meal #1: Butternut Squash and Leek Risotto with Wilted Escarole and Butter Beans
Meal #2: Baked Tofu Cutlets with Figs, Caramelized Onions and Balsamic Glaze, Mashed Root Vegetables and Broccoli
Meal #3: Cauliflower Au Gratin with Panfried Curry Tempeh Cakes, Green Beans and Quinoa

1 comment:

zoe p. said...

That fig and onion topping sounds delicious!