Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Eve at Bloodroot

I was excited to close out the decade with a vegan dinner at Bloodroot, the feminist vegetarian restaurant in Bridgeport. I've been wanting to attend this annual celebration for many years and I'm happy to finally have experienced it.

The dinner began with a little appetizer plate with Mushroom Walnut Pate on Endive, Hoppin' Jane Blackeyed Peas and Rice, and water crackers. I couldn't wait to dig in!

This was followed by a warm appetizer of Grilled Tofu en Brochette with Peanut Dipping Sauce and Cucumber Relish. Colorful and very tasty!

The entree for the evening was a lovely Vegetable Phyllo Pastry Mariposa with Gingered Elderberry Sauce. A heart salad and fresh bread accompanied the meal. And I sopped up every drop of that sauce with the delicious sourdough pumpernickle (I ignored my gluten sensitivity this night!).

The meal was finished by a slice of Chocolate Devastation Cake with Fruit Platter and Persimmon Sorbet. The flavors blended really well together, and were made extra special with a glass of bubbly champagne. Cheers!



Happy New Year!

1 comment:

ben said...

The food looks delicious. I'm going to be sure to put Bloodroot on my list of places to visit in Bridgeport again. I've heard it has a beautiful view of the water during the day. Who would have thought it? Ben