Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tofu Piccata

It's been awhile since I've made Tofu Piccata, and I don't know why I haven't gotten around to it sooner. It's always so delicious and easy to make, too.

Several years ago a client requested Seitan Piccata, so I did some research into recipes and cooking techniques. At the time, I even made my own seitan, which I breaded and panfried (boy, those were the good ole days of eating gluten). Candle 79 has it as a regular entree, and I was fortunate enough to sample their version last year. The sauce is creamy, lemony, and salty from the pungent bite of capers. I really love the combination. You can get the recipe on VegCooking.

Since I don't eat gluten (or shouldn't eat it for health reasons), I decided to do a baked tofu instead. A success, iff I do say so myself. I made it three times last week, and really wish I had some tonight for dinner. We shall see...

2 comments:

Beatrice said...

Hmm -- I just happen to have capers on hand -- this might wind up on this week's menu.

Unknown said...

You definitely have to give it a try. My recipe is a little different from the Candle Cafe version (I use rice milk instead of water mixed with corn starch instead of flour, plus some nutritional yeast and only a pinch of turmeric). It's definitely worth experimenting. Enjoy!