Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cinnamon Pecan Sticky Buns with Maple Glaze

No, these aren't gluten-free. Yes, they're vegan. And by the aroma, I'd surmise they're delicious, though I haven't dug into them yet.

It's been awhile (years, in fact) since I've made this recipe, and I thought of tweaking it into a gluten-free version, but decided to start with something reliable. It's a test batch for a TV appearance on WTNH's Good Morning Connecticut this weekend.

The dough is fairly simple, just a modification of a focaccia dough with a little more sweetness. I also like to melt coconut oil into the batter for some decadence (just a tablespoon, though!).

After it sits about 5 minutes, I stretch it out into a rectangle (no need for a rolling pin!), then spread it with a bit more melted coconut oil, sprinkle chopped pecans, raisins, and cinnamon on top, and roll it jelly-roll style. I made 8 slices, then turned over each slice onto an oiled cake pan.

I let the slices sit and rise while I took Zinny out for a walk (about an hour), though a half an hour would probably be long enough. I popped the pan into a hot 400 degree oven for 15 minutes (checking after 10).

Meanwhile, I made a maple cashew glaze in the Vita-Mix (Vita-Mix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor), then drizzled it over the top. These are going to be heavenly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love cinnamon buns but had just come to the realization that the EOW ones I used to scarf were whiter and doughier than I would choose anymore. Yours offer hope that I might try making some myself! I tried the "scatch and sniff" application on my I-phone and the smell is very convincing!

Unknown said...

These smell even more delicious in person! I'm making another batch using spelt flour to up the wholesome goodness factor...