Thursday, March 31, 2011

Totally raw

The last week of my "Healthy Cooking in a Hurry" class featured a totally raw menu, which made for a really quick and easy dinner since there was no waiting around for things to cook.  I like nights like this, even when it's cold outside.  We started with some Spicy Jicama Fries seasoned with nutritional yeast and chili powder.  I think this is one of the best flavor/texture combinations for addictive snacking, since there's sweet and crispy from the sliced jicama, spicy and salty from the chili powder and sea salt, and a little bit of savory from the nutritional yeast. I'd probably toss regular oven fries with this mix, and maybe popcorn, too.


The entree was Stuffed Red Peppers with Romesco (a savory pate made by pureeing soaked cashews and sundried tomatoes with some special seasonings) topped with Spicy Sprouts and a side of Field Greens Tossed with Dijon Vinaigrette.  Yeah, again, the flavor combinations can't be beat.


For dessert I made a Chia Pudding with Fresh Kiwi, Bananas, and Raspberries.  I've become addicted to this tapioca-like treat, and really, when all you have to do is stir a bit of seeds with some almond or soy milk, then add agave syrup and a pinch of salt, why would you slave over a hot stove stirring tapioca for 30 minutes?  I wouldn't.  This one's gonna be popular once the weather warms up.

No comments: