Sunday, March 13, 2011

White Bean Burgers

Anyone familiar with vegetarian food has probably had some version of a bean burger, usually made with black beans and/or lentils.  For lunch the other day, my mom made a twist on this traditional recipe by substituting white beans and I have to say, it was a great success.  (see Robin Robertson's excellent Black Bean and Walnut Croquette recipe if you'd like to give the original a try.)


She cooked a potato, then mashed it along with the beans and some shredded carrot and onion.  Since I can't eat gluten, she omitted the bread crumbs and I suggested using corn starch instead for the binder.  These came together well after refrigerating for about a half an hour before being friend in the pan.  I served mine on top of a bed of lettuce and topped it with a generous squeeze of spicy brown mustard and relish.  It was the perfect lunch!

No comments: