Sunday, April 22, 2012

Gluten-free Vegan Toffee Apple Crisp

Today was a drizzly, cold Sunday, which felt much like the spring I remember and not the balmy spring we've been having.  So it's no surprise that on this lazy afternoon I was craving a warm and comforting fresh-baked treat.  I poked around my kitchen for something that would work in a dessert and found four apples -- two Granny Smith and two Gala -- so I decided to turn them into an apple crisp.


I recently went to a new restaurant in Watertown, CT where my dining companion raved about the apple crisp.  It was topped by a melty scoop of ice cream, but I navigated around it to taste a spoonful tip of the apple part so I could get an idea of what he was so ecstatic about.  Aside from the butter, the flavor that came forward was luscious caramel toffee.  With that in mind, I set about recreating a gluten-free vegan version which I could eat and serve with confidence to non-vegans.  I think I hit it on my first try.


The recipe is modified from Tasty Yummy's version of apple crisp, but substitutes traditional oats with buckwheat flakes since I'm also sensitive to oats.  I used ground almonds to provide a crunch and some richness to the crisp.  For sweetness I used a combination of organic sugar and maple syrup.  But the real decadence comes from the coconut oil.  When these ingredients combine, a heavenly melty toffee results.  Top it with a generous dollop of NadaMoo! Maple Pecan ice cream.... ahhh... perfection.


Gluten-free Vegan Toffee Apple Crisp
In a large bowl, combine filling:
4 apples, sliced into 2-inch chunks
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp sea salt

Topping:
1/2 cup almonds, finely ground
1/2 cup cream of buckwheat (uncooked)
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup organic sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 Tbl maple syrup

In a food processor, grind slivered almonds until finely chopped.  Add buckwheat, rice flour, cinnamon, sugar, oil, and sea salt and process until clumps form.  Pour apple mixture into 8"x8" pan and spread topping over the top.  Drizzle with maple syrup.  Place in preheated 375 degree oven and bake 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.  

No comments: