Friday, April 27, 2012

Waking the Tastebuds: Foods of Spring

I've been preparing all day today for my presentation this weekend at the first annual Vegetarian and Healthy Living Festival at the Connecticut Convention Center, and all I can think about is asparagus!  It's one of my favorite vegetables because it has that elegant, chi chi look, and yet it's so easy to prepare.  Just a quick dunk in a pot of boiling water, then a rinse of ice cold water and it's done.

I'm going to be demonstrating how to make a quick and easy salad with it along with a more common spring veggie, the radish.  These are like the yin and yang of the vegetable world:  One is prized and classy, while the other is more like the uncouth cousin nobody likes having around.  And yet, somehow, they come together in perfect familial harmony in the recipe I will be demonstrating on Sunday:  Asparagus, Radish and Quinoa Salad with Dijon Dressing, Chives, and Pistachios.


This is the same recipe I prepared for the "Planting a Chef's Garden" presentation I did last week, but it was such a hit that I decided to reprise it this weekend.  Plus, this will be a chance for those who weren't able to attend last week to get a taste.  It's so easy to make.


I hope you can stop by, say hello, and try a sample.  I'll also have cookbooks and aprons for sale - wheeeee!!

No comments: