Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Basil Sautee

It already feels like the middle of the summer, not just because of the heat wave, but because of all the basil in my garden.  And that means it's officially pesto season!  Even though I love pesto and could eat it every day, I must confess that I often don't feel like going through the trouble of making it.  On those days, I just grab a generous handful and sautee the leaves just like any greens.


The other day for lunch I tossed a big bunch in with some zucchini, crushed tomatoes, olive oil and garlic.  I stirred the basil leaves in at the end and cooked until they just wilted.


Then I melted a handful of Daiya mozzarella on top of some sliced polenta, and buried it all with the saucy mixture, creating a creamy, gooey center.  A chiffonade of a few reserved basil leaves garnished the plate and added a nice cinnamony kick to the whole dish.  Quick, easy, and delicious!

No comments: