Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fresh from the Farm

Last night was the final session of my 4-week "Fresh from the Farm" West Hartford Adult Ed class.  It's been a hot and sticky summer, so it seemed only fitting that we should end with a cool note and raw foods.  I chose to do an Italian themed menu.


The first course was a vegan twist on the traditional Caprese Salad made with beefsteak tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil.  In this case, I substituted a lovely ripe avocado which, though not local and farm fresh, was delicious.  I also made an olive tapenade to go with the spread.  The gorgeous tomatoes were from my friends at Hindinger Farm in Hamden.


The entree was a Raw Zucchini Lasagna with Macadamia "Rawcotta" and Red Pepper Marinara.  I think this was a favorite for the flavors and surprisingly silky texture of the thin strips of zucchini which I ran through the mandoline.  And the zucchini were from my garden.


For dessert I made a super decadent Blueberry Tart with Cashew Cream and Orange Zest.  I think the layer of Almond Coconut Crust was a little thick, so next time I'm gonna have to cut back on the measurements.


So rich.  Or maybe it just needed even more blueberries.  I bet this would be good with fresh peaches, too.  Next time...

No comments: