Sunday, April 10, 2011

Planting a Chef's Garden


Last week I had the pleasure to combine two of my favorite activities, cooking and gardening, into a presentation for the Bethel Public Library called "Planting a Chef's Garden."  The planning part took place over the winter, and by the time I was ready for this presentation, pea seeds were soaking and I had already turned over my own garden to get ready for some planting.


This is the time of the season to start sowing cool weather veggies like peas, lettuce, radish, and any of the dark leafy greens like collard and kale.  I'll be trying my new favorite variety of kale this year, the Italian "Lacinato," aka Dinosaur Kale.  I love it for its mild flavor, tender leaves and vibrant green color which works perfectly chopped in salads, hidden in mashed potatoes, tossed with pasta, or even stir-fried with other veggies.  I'm really looking forward to these first little leaves popping up.


After the presentation I did a mini cooking demonstration using seasonal veggies, asparagus and snap peas.  Tossed with a Dijon Vinaigrette dressing, pistachios, and wild onion chives form my yard, this salad was a hit with everyone.


Thanks to all who attended, and to Susan at Bethel Library for coordinating this fun event!

Shop Burpee.com and Save 15% on ONLY Organic Seeds and Plants!

No comments: