Saturday, April 23, 2011

This Week's Menu



Whole Foods recently posted an article about the health benefits of black beans and some creative ways to add more of this mighty legume into your diet... even in brownies.  I decided to go the more traditional route this week by making a black bean chili for my clients.


The chili is simple, warm and comforting, with lots of diced tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms and corn.  I spice it up with a bit of cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper.  It's always a favorite on a cold, rainy day.


A couple of clients have been asking for tempeh, so for another meal this week I made Tempeh Crabcakes.  These tender little patties get their seafood flavor from dulse flakes, and even omnivores comment that they taste pretty close to the real thing.  I think it's the squeeze of lemon that does the trick.


For the third meal, I made a spicy tofu stir-fry with broccoli, carrot, and snow peas.  The sauce gets its flavor from hoisin, a Japanese barbecue sauce, mixed with tamari, mirin, and agave syrup.  Chopped peanuts, ginger and fresh basil add some crunch and zip.  It's a perfect balance.

No comments: