Saturday, October 29, 2011

GF Pumpkin Spice Bread


As we brace for the first snow storm of the season, I seek refuge in the kitchen.  And what better way to fight the cold than to bake some bread?  Today's recipe comes courtesy of a former client of mine who forwarded me a recipe for a vegan pumpkin bread.  She assured me it was awesome, so I set out to see if I could make an equally awesome gluten-free version.  I think I succeeded.


I substituted a mix of garbanzo bean flour, tapioca flour, and rice flour for the whole wheat, then added a little xanthan gum to bind it all together.  The batter was smooth and thick, aided by the silken creaminess of some canned pumpkin puree.

As it baked in the oven, the sweet spicy aromas wafted through my house, almost making me forget the storm that was brewing outside.  I think this will be the perfect reward after shoveling the driveway later tonight.  The crumb was perfectly moist, yet tender, and it held together nicely.  Tomorrow morning I've already got my sights set on experimenting with Pumpkin French Toast for breakfast.


Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Bread
1 cup garbanzo bean flour1/2 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
¼ tsp cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
3 Tbl maple syrup
3 Tbl water
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 cup Florida Crystals vegan sugar
½ cup oil
Preheat oven to 350°F.  In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and spices. In a small bowl, whisk together pumpkin, oil, syrup, and water. Add wet mixture to dry; combine until just moistened. (Batter will be very thick; don’t worry!) Fold in nuts. Pour into oiled pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 20 minutes; use a butter knife to gently loosen bread from sides of pan, then invert onto a cooling rack. Yields 1 loaf.

1 comment:

Belinda Y. Hughes said...

Pumpkin Spice Bread featured in Cafe Belinda. http://cafebelinda.blogspot.com/2011/11/lactose-free-vegan-pumpkin-recipes.html Sorry, I couldn't locate a Twitter button.