Sunday, October 16, 2011

Raw Taco Supreme

A client of mine has been on a raw food cleanse for the past two weeks, and this has inspired me to reintroduce some raw recipes into my repertoire.  I was in the mood for something spicy, so I decided to make a raw taco with "refried beans," mango salsa, and cashew sour cream.


The refried beans are made by soaking sunflower seeds in water until they're soft, then pulsing them in a food processor with carrot, onion, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, oregano, and sea salt until a paste forms.  These don't get cooked, but they're somehow close in consistency to the refries we love so much.


I spread a good portion of the mixture onto a crispy romaine lettuce leaf (the "taco" shell), then got my handy squeeze bottle to make a cute squiggle of cashew sour cream over the top.  On the side is a good portion of salsa made with fresh mango, local tomatoes, red and green onion, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro.  Beautiful and delicious!

No comments: