Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gluten-free Goodness

One of the exciting things about trying new gluten-free vegan products is discovering a winner reminiscent of a childhood favorite.  In this case, it's Oreos.  Mi-Del makes a gluten-free version but they contain eggs, so I have to pass.  I tried another brand recently that just tasted like sand, and if I knew the name I'd forewarn you to stay clear of it.  Beware the pink package!

So I was pleasantly surprised to find gluten-free, dairy/casein-free, egg-free and trans fat free chocolate sandwich cookies that not only look like the real thing, but taste like it, too.  As far as I can remember.  But I have good taste memory for this kind of thing. And perfect texture, too - a nice, crisp crunch, and they're definitely dunkable.  Plus the cream center was just the right consistency, too.  They're called K-Toos, short for Kinni-Toos, made by Kinnikinnick Foods.  The only drawback is they're so delicious I might have to buy them all the time.  Which leads to the second drawback:  at $4.99 for an 8 oz. package of 2 dozen cookies I'd need to find myself a part-time job to pay for this added luxery. Not gonna happen.

The other recent discovery likewise destined to send me to the poorhouse is Lucy's Chocolate Chip Cookies.  These are the ones Starbucks recently added to its lineup of addictive treats.  They're gluten-free and vegan.  And, yeah, delicious.  They also make oatmeal and sugar cookies, for those who want an alternative to chocolate.  I'd imagine these are equally light, flakey and heavenly.  Oh the torture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the gluten-free sources. I have a relative who loves chocolate chip cookies but can't have them because she's gluten intolerant. Now I'll be able to treat her to her favorite cookies again. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

She's going to love them. Word of caution, however: they're highly addictive!!