Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Half a Head and a Handful of Roots

This is one of those meals that you don't know how it will turn out until you're done.  When I looked in my fridge, all I found was a half a head of cauliflower, a handful of baby carrots, and a few onions.  Yeah, I know.  What's a chef to do?  I decided to try making a cauliflower and carrot curry.

Thai Kitchen Pure Coconut Milk, 13.66-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)
In a pinch, it always helps to have a can of coconut milk in the pantry. You can use it for curries, soups, and even baked goods.  My favorite is Thai Kitchen which comes in organic and low fat (I always go for the full fat for full flavor).  On the side I'm making some jasmine rice, and the sweet aroma is already wafting through the kitchen and into my office as I type this.

I started by cutting the cauliflower into large florets, the baby carrots into wedges and the onion into a large dice.  Then I dropped them into a hot pan with olive oil and sauteed them on medium high heat for about five minutes until the cauliflowers had some golden color.


I added a little salt, curry powder and coconut milk and brought the mix to a boil.  Then I lowered the heat, covered the pan and simmered about 10 minutes until the cauliflower could easily be cut with a spoon.


Gotta say, this is one of the quickest, easiest and most delicious lunches you could possibly imagine.  Really rich and decadent with only about 1/4 cup of coconut milk.  Add it to your repertoire of fail-safe recipes!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great recipe for cauliflower! I love it but always cook it the same way. Thanks for the new idea.