Friday, April 23, 2010

Last night's dinner

Normally on a Thursday night I go for something simple for dinner:  pasta, rice and beans, a salad, maybe even just a bowl of oatmeal.  Yeah, that's how exciting it can be in the Well on Wheels kitchen when not cooking for clients.  But I have a class coming up next week and I wanted to test some recipes.

The portobello mushroom caps looked particularly good, so I picked up a couple with the intention of marinating them in a balsamic vinaigrette then baking them in the oven.  I would serve them with leek and baby pea risotto with ratatouille.  This seemed like a good plan, but I just felt like the "meat" portion wouldn't be substantial enough, so I decided to fill the caps with some tamari marinated tofu.  Perfect!  If only I had a handful of shredded Daiya mozzerella to melt on top, this meal would've been over the top.  It was pretty delicious, nonetheless. 


Although the meal was filling and satisfying, I was craving something sweet for dessert.  I browsed the fridge:  nothing.  Then the freezer:  the mango ice pops just weren't gonna cut it.  And then I noticed a little box of pearls on the freezer door, tapioca pearls.  Eureka!  These would work perfectly with the leftover coconut milk I had in the fridge and the fresh strawberries I had bought earlier in the day.  It was a little tedious stirring the heated mixture for about 20 minutes, but in the end, worth it.  The perfect ending to a perfect meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for Portobello mushroom stuffing! I wish I had smellovision.

Unknown said...

Yeah - this one came out really delicious. And it was easy to make, too!