Wednesday, April 28, 2010

(Relatively) Healthy Cooking in a Hurry

I had the first meeting of my 4-week West Hartford Adult Ed. "Healthy Cooking in a Hurry" class last night.  After a full 8-hour day of census training and hour-long drive from New Haven, I was feeling like most people do at the end of the day:  not looking forward to cooking dinner.  Alas, I had a group of 8 hungry students awaiting a delicious meal, so I had to oblige.


Somewhere at the midway point in the three-hour class, I got a second wind that carried me through to the finish line.  The menu included Asparagus and Leek Risotto, Baked Tofu with Arugula Pesto, Wilted Escarole with Toasted Pine Nuts and a dessert of Chocolate Dipped Coconut Almond Macaroon Cookies.  I think it helped knowing there was a chocolate reward for the ride home.  


See you all next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The baked tofu with arugula pesto looks delicious. What is in the pesto in addition to the arugula? Are the other traditional pesto ingredients included/

Unknown said...

The ingredients are similar to a regular vegan pesto - toasted pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, sea salt - but I also added some mellow white miso and a bunch of fresh basil to smooth out the bite from the arugula. It comes out tasting like a very "green" and slightly "sharp" basil pesto, and the flavors get savory when baked into the tofu crust.